Preparing for the birth of a child is an exciting and busy time. One of the most important decisions you will make during this time is how you will feed your baby. To give them the absolute best start in life, choose to breastfeed!
Breast milk is perfect nutrition and it is never too early to begin learning about all the other great things breastfeeding has to offer. Talk to other women who have breastfed. Take a breastfeeding class, read books or pamphlets. Having a new baby is a big change in your life whether you choose to breastfeed or not. And with most things in life, breastfeeding and baby care become easier with practice and experience.
Read on to learn about breastfeeding's great benefits for moms, families and the environment...
- Breastfeeding provides warmth and closeness. The physical contact helps create a special bond between you and your baby.
- Brest milk is easier for your baby to digest.
- It doesn't need to be prepared.
- It's always available.
- It has all the nutrients, calories, and fluids your baby needs to be healthy.
- It has growth factors that ensure the best development of your baby's organs.
- It has many substances that formulas don't have that protect your baby from many diseases and infections. In fact, breastfed babies are less likely to have
- Ear infections
- Respiratory problems
- Other bacterial and viral infections, such as meningitis
- Research also suggests that breastfeeding may help to protect against obesity, diabetes, sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS), and some cancers.
Breastfeeding is good for moms because it helps
- Release hormones in your body that promote mothering behavior.
- Return your uterus to the size it was before pregnancy more quickly.
- Burn more calories, which may help you lose the weight you gained during pregnancy.
- Reduce the risk of ovarian cancer and breast cancer.
- Keep bones strong, which helps protect against bone fractures in older age.
Breastfeeding is good for families because
- It saves money and is thus family budget-friendly. Breastfeeding is free!
- It encourages relaxation and enjoyment of life's precious moments.
- It means less missed days of work for mom or dad. A breastfed baby is healthier, meaning mom or dad doesn't need to stay home to take care of a sick child!
Breastfeeding is good for the environment because
- It involves no use of energy, machinery, packaging materials, waste, animals or feed. It is 100% natural and organic!